Monday, July 11, 2011

{Summer Camp} Radiator Springs Garden

When Toni asked me to be a Summer Camp Counselor at Design Dazzle, I jumped at the chance. I'd been thinking long and hard about some fun crafts to do with my soon-to-be Kindergartener this summer, so I was excited to share some ideas with you. For the past few months, my son, Zack, has been living in ridiculous anticipation of the opening of Cars 2. I think he may be Lightening McQueen's biggest fan, and waiting on another installment featuring his hero was almost too much for him to take. I've had a major crush on Fairy Gardens as of late, so I decided we could easily make a Cars 2 version with some of his toys. This is a very simple project where you can really do no wrong. For the Radiator Springs Garden, you will need:

  • Planting container with a hole in the bottom for drainage;

  • Potting soil;

  • Small plants;

  • Toy cars;

  • Aquarium gravel (or dirt/sand);

  • Black mulch (optional).

Now for the fun! Add some potting soil to your container and put your cars in the general location you'd like for them to be positioned. We wanted it to look like our cars were driving through Radiator Springs, like the last scene of the movie. Next, position your plants around the cars and plant them in the potting soil. I just dug in my potting soil with a kitchen spoon, because I'm fancy. You can see that I separated the big plant into two smaller pieces. Water the plants once they are planted. We then added the aquarium gravel around the plants, leaving the "road" bare. You could use sand, dirt or even rocks for this. We just wanted it to look barren, just like Radiator Springs. Lastly, I added some black mulch under the cars to serve as the "road." I could have just left it as is, but I had a half used bag of mulch in the garage, so I figured I should use it. When your plants need some water, you can lightly water it as usual or fill up a sink with water and soak it. I use the soaking method for this and other Fairy Gardens, and so far, so good! Please let me know if you put together a Radiator Springs Garden with your little ones. I'd also love for you to join me over at my blog, Living With Lindsay, for more simple craft and home decor ideas. Lindsay is a stay at home mom of two who never needs the employees at Home Depot to help her find anything, as much as they keep asking. However, she couldn’t find her way around a kitchen if her life depended on it. Lindsay can be found at Living With Lindsay, a DIY home decor blog that chronicles her paint drips, glue gun burns, and everything in between. And she’s very lucky to have a husband who can cook.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin